Nov 20, 2011

Other people's stories - Tales of: Living the Dream

I'm having fun traveling around Europe for the year. I've been to several events I'm passionate about, some I've always aspired to go to (Edinburgh Fringe) and others I've lucked upon (EuroBasket in Lithuania, Wrestling in England). I've been able to act on most of my whims, even the privilege of not working for a year is golden in and of itself. Surprisingly this doesn't make happiness any less elusive.

Once the novelty of being around new places and new people wears off, ultimately we're left with the same dilemma - "What do I do with my time?". As I've mentioned several times, one of my go-to responses is reading. Graphic Novels in libraries, Photography journals in bookshops and collecting as much street press I can find. Street Press is particularly illuminating as it informs me of a Country as reflected by their trending artists and movements.

I've read some interesting articles in England, the following two resonated with me as they touched on the subject of glorification. Who else but a successful Celebrity would be more qualified to comment on the realities of "living the dream". This edition of 'Other People's stories' is unique as it features people I've had no interaction with.


Musician Ed Sheeran (EdSheeran.com)

Heart Strings (Ed Sheeran interview)
by Hattie Collins for RWD Magazine

How's life hanging out with Example, performing at Nobu with Clare Maguire, for Princess Beatrics...
The grass is always greener - but I do have the best job in the world. I enjoy my job so much and it's so fun. But there's lots of downsides to it.

What's the toughest part of the job?
Well I'm still sofa surfing - not because there's no money, it's that there's no time to go look for a flat. It gets to 2am and I'm like "F**k where am I going to stay tonight?" That's not a nice feeling. Or being told you have a day off and there's a last minute studio session or gig, photoshoot etc... you just keep going...

But there's no point complaining about stuff like that because two years ago I would have given my left leg to do that. Life isn't always as peachy as everyone thinks it is, but it is also really good...!

And the toughest lesson you've learnt?
Probably having to realise that not everyone's going to like you. I used to read all my press - I've stopped that now...

I'd think "Why would you say that?" I picture myself as a nice person - I'm probably not! - but I try to treat people how I'd like to be treated...

Master Shortie actually gave me a bit of advice. I get like one bad tweet for every 200 good ones and I'd tweet back at them. He asked me why and said "You've got 200 fans saying they love you and one guy saying he hates you?". Why don't you use that tweet to ignore him and reply to a fan and make their day?"...

Instead of focusing on the hatred, it's better to focus on the love and who likes the music. It's good advice.
--------------------------------------------


Comedian Stephen Merchant (StephenMerchant.com)

Stephen Merchant - Would you fall for this man?
by Stephen Armstrong for ES Magazine

Stephen Merchant is one half of the UK's most successful comedy duo... He and Ricky Gervais are among the richest comedians in the world... And yet he still can't get a girlfriend.

One New Year's Eve, for instance, he was standing in Trafalgar Square when a good-looking girl reached up to tap him on the shoulder (he's 6ft 7in) and asked, 'Are you going to be here for a while?' In a second his whole night changed. 'Here we go,' he thought. 'This is it.' He was no longer crushed in the cold; he was a handsome winner about to get some New Year's action. 'Because me and my friends are all going off,' the girl continued, 'and we want to arrange to meet back here, at you.'

He sighs as he relates the story... 'People think all fame is the same but being on BBC Two from time to time does not make you Warren Beatty. I honestly can't impress that upon people enough.'

Surely once he'd picked up a Golden Globe, live on television, women found him more attractive? 'No,' he says firmly. 'But I have become more confident in my own skin. That's the difference.'...

I was 15 when my dad came in from work one day - at the time he was in the building trade and he was very stressed - and said, "You don't want to end up doing this, son" he recalls. I decided to become the next John Cleese. Ridiculous. But, well, I've done it. It's good, isn't it? But now what do I do? I've jokingly said that everything I'm doing now is filling up the hours before I die, but I do feel that slightly. I have no religious beliefs so this is the ride. This is it. So I'm just like anyone I suppose, trying to fill out the days in the most interesting way possible.'
- Other people's stories - Tales of: Adventure
- Other people's stories - Tales of: Love
- Other people's stories - Tales of: Living the Dream
- Other people's stories - Tales of: Living in the moment

1 comment: