Feb 14, 2012

Home Music: Songs to be happy to (First impressions, Last show)

My farewell music Soundtrack was titled 'Last time, First lines' so its fitting I herald my return home with first impressions. Its with sad news that I farewell 'Thursday' as they perform their final dates. I reminisced about Sage Francis as I watched him at his final Sydney show. I hope to pay the same tribute for one of my favourite bands but unfortunately the price is too steep, especially for a return traveler as broke as myself.

In fact that has sadly been the glaring impression upon returning to Sydney, how expensive things are and how much cost of living has risen. I won't fall into the trap of idealism and "good old days" revisionism however. If travel has taught me anything its that we have to face and negotiate around the reality presented to us.

Thursday will be supported by another of my favourite bands, 'Saves the Day'. I've seen both bands before so I have no overwhelming regret. I've devoted my ears to podcasts the last few years, rarely listening to music or going to shows. It would have been good to pay my respects to the band but I shall instead offer it with this heartfelt post. I hope you can *Pay* the respects for me.

Thursday are performing two dates in Australia
'Thursday' with supports 'Saves The Day' & 'Circa Survive'
Mon 27 Feb (Lic/AA) - Metro Theatre, Sydney
Wed 29 Feb (18+) - Billboard, Melbourne (Sold out)

VIDEO: 'At your Funeral' by Saves the Day


VIDEO: 'War All The Time' by Thursday

Thank You (press release excerpt)
Well, if you’ve been touched by our music or our dedication or our embarrassingly out-of-fashion sincerity, then this is for you, friend: thank you for letting us make No DevoluciĆ³n. We hope you’ve heard it. We say “beg, borrow or steal… music is an idea… ideas are free” but we encourage you to support our fantastically sweet and hardworking label, Epitaph, by buying it if you can afford to.

Despite the fantastic year that the band has enjoyed, creatively, things haven’t been as easy for us on a personal level... We haven’t had any falling out and are all still close...

Underneath it all, the personal circumstances involved make it impossible to continue Thursday in the spirit that has made it special. So, we stop. For now, at least.
- Find the entire 'Road Music' Track listings here
- Thursday featured as one of New Year's anthems here
Punk rock found on the road
- The kids are alright: Subculture in the South of Spain
- Tudo Bom: The first 3 days in Portugal (3 of 3)
- Road Music: Hipsters and Hardcore in Lisboa, Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment