Oct 29, 2013

Breathtaking panorama of Rio de Janeiro, hike to top of Morro da Babilônia (Leme Beach)

'Morro da Babilônia' lookout. Map drawn from memory.
There's something fun about walking around and stumbling onto amazing sights. It gives me the feeling of being an explorer. Even when the paths are paved once you get to a lookout with  no one in sight you feel like a pioneer.

I found this lookout on top of Morro da Babilônia by Leme Beach which had breathtaking panoramic views of the city - Cristo Redentor, Botafogo Beach and Sugarloaf. The view of Copacabana from behind was partially obscured by trees however. You'll share the view with a gallery of Black Vultures, frankly I'm surprised the base wasn't littered with condoms and homeless/camping paraphernalia. You have to navigate through a Favela and negotiate around some barking dogs (bring a stick) but I felt safe walking alone. On the way back you can treat yourself to refreshing Açaí at the Chapeu Mangueira Favela, the cheapest I've come across.

I decided to google the name of the mountain and see how exotic the hike was. Its not as obvious as the time I "discovered" the 'City of Arts and Sciences' in Valencia but not exactly trailblazing either :)

Update: I returned the following day and was solo again save for the flock of Black Vultures. Here is the vista which I assure you does it little justice.
From L to R: Christ the Redeemer, Botafogo Beach, Sugarloaf Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment